Here it is, April 29, 2020 and you’ve got to be as sick of hearing about COVID-19, Flattening the Curve, and Ventilator Capacity as I am.
But bear with me.
This post isn’t about what my business is doing in the face of distancing. It’s about how after I already had a plan for my new business, the world stepped in with a galaxy-sized rubber stamp that says ‘VALIDATED‘.
I kid you not.
Don’t get me wrong. I never anticipated anything like this and was as blind-sided as most everyone else. But when I started my DIY health projects, I was focused on people who wanted to do things to help themselves and who didn’t want to have to go out and get help and who wanted a better, more complete outcome.
And then, in the span of a few short weeks and months, it all shifted from wanted to needed and from didn’t want to couldn’t.
- Now people need to help themselves because they can’t, won’t, or shouldn’t go out for help.
- Now people are suffering at home because they were dependent on external providers to handle their care.
I mean healthcare might be imported from China for all the access a person has to a provider just down the street!
Sure, [I’ve already discussed link] how comprehensive care combining a health expert (if they’re actually an expert) [link]) with DIY self-care is the best option. Provided-care is highly effective – at a cost and frequency most people cannot manage [evidence link] (at least with Lymph Drainage). DIY Lymph Massage is 58% as effective as that, but at a cost in time, energy, and money that committed people can bear.
Now that much of “elective” procedures are limited or off-limits, 58% is WAAAAAAAAY better than 0%. That’s a no-brainer.
My fervent hope is that all of this sheltering-at-home has taught more people the following:
- That you have more power to take care of yourself than you think (or thought)
- How important self-care is (highlighted by the fact that they used to have someone else do it)
- That DIY-knowhow is a desirable thing.